You might call them pain relievers. You might take them for back pain, headache, or arthritis. Your doctor calls them "NSAIDs," which stands for non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Whatever you call them and for whatever reason you take them, NSAIDs are among the most popular medications worldwide. In fact, estimates suggest that about 15% of the US population takes an NSAID regularly (including those that are over the counter and prescription strength). Along with sporadic users, more than 30 billion doses are taken each year.
Despite the warnings, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) remain the most used and abused drugs. Often associated as the remedy for neck pain, low back pain and joint pain. They are particularly dangerous because they are widely available over the counter and their use is typically considered benign.
There are many common problems and side-effects associated with their use. Here are 7 reasons why I don't take anti-inflammatory drugs.
- NSAIDs disrupt the body's own immune system response to repair damaged tissue. While reducing certain molecules that can create more inflammation, the naturally occurring anti-inflammatory molecules are also impaired. This delays the healing process.
- About 16,500 people die annually from NSAIDs use. The causation is usually ulcer-related complications associated with the drug's continued use.
- Intestinal problems, including bleeding, occur in almost everyone taking NSAIDs (even if it's not noticeable). This can lead to anemia and fatigue.
- Muscle dysfunction, contributing to physical aches and pains, and injuries is often prevalent among NSAIDs users.
- NSAIDs can reduce the body's ability to repair muscles, tendons, ligaments and joints.
- Increased risk of kidney damage, especially when you're dehydrated, can result from taking NSAIDs.
- NSAIDs can disturb sleep. These drugs will cross through the blood brain barrier and interact with the structures of the nervous system, the brain, and the spinal cord.
If you are looking for a natural way not only to relieve your pain but to solve the problem as well Northwood Chiropractic and Wellness, your local Maple Grove Chiropractic Office, is ready to serve you. Call my office and get your start with a consultation 763-432-3932